What makes a ‘Best Music Video of 2017’?
It’s gotta stir something inside, right?
It’s gotta wake something up, correct?
It’s gotta ask some good questions, no?
It’s gotta be entertaining and thought provoking?
We guess Time Out Magazine thought that New Zealander’s Johnathn Bree’s weird music video of ‘You’re So Cool’ had warranted such praise.
The video is made up in black and white, pre-color TV broadcast, 1960’s and hovering over the music are the haunting faceless characters playing the sounds to the song.
It’s creepy. But awesome.
Bree directed the little video himself.
It’s well done. And the song is fab.
What else can you ask for?
Well, kudos Jonathan – for the competition was stiff, and your fellow listed artists are some of the biggest hitters in several genres.
The rest of the category list included:
- “Shadow” by Chromatics
- “Who Dat Boy” by Tyler, The Creator
- “Get Lost” by Washed Out
- “Too Fast” by Sonder
- “Is it Always Binary?” by Soulwax
- “Go Up” by Cassius feat. Cat Power & Pharrell Williams
- All of the 2017 videos by Kendrick Lamar
- “Venus Fly” by Grimes ft. Janelle Monae
- “Old Wounds” by PUP
- “The Gate” by Björk
- “Negative Space” by Hookworms
- “City Music” by Kevin Morby
- “One More Fluorescent Rush” by Avalon Emerson
- “Matter of Time” by Sharon Jones
- “Deadly Valentine” by Charlotte Gainsbourg
- “Lift” by Radiohead
- “May I Have this Dance” by Francis and the Lights